Old 10-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Malcolm Ogilvie

Default Peak wind speeds

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
martin writes:

| The figure for Lewis is somewhat impressive - much higher than
| hurricane Isobel - in fact, Lewis gets winds higher than that
| rather anaemic hurricane every year :-)
|
| usually from the remains of a hurricane.
|
| I remember in the nineteen sixties, that around there an anemometer
| measured 140mph before it was blown away.

Yes. While they do weaken considerably crossing the pond, a high
proportion of all Caribbean hurricanes end up hitting the Western
Isles.

Well, not really a "high proportion" because you've got to exclude those
that hit land the other side of the pond, well over half most years! And
the poor old Western Isles aren't the only place the resulting
depressions end up hitting this side of the pond, it can be anywhere
from the Bay of Biscay to Iceland. The storm of 16th October 1987 was
partly a result of Hurricane Floyd, after all!

--
Malcolm Ogilvie