Old 10-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Another "art" debate?

Mo
Raymon,
This is an issue that really needs to be
sorted out, because there is an unhealthy measure
of bigotry in bonsai along these lines. It likely
arises because of the way that westerners
generally view and approach bonsai - that it is a
do-it-yourself endeavor.
"Doing bonsai" means to start something
from raw material and turn it into some semblance
of a bonsai. Any other definition is viewed with
suspicion and contempt. This odd ideal likely
comes from the horribly ridiculous way that most
judged exhibits are structured - it is the people
that are judged, not the trees. There are stupid
rules, like: you have to have owned the tree for 5
years - and there are stupid categories like:
amateur, professional, beginner, advanced, idiots,
savants, etc... None of this has anything at all
to do with what should be judged: the beauty and
artistry of the
bonsai and it's display.
All of this misguided activity prompted me
to devote an entire editorial to the subject
http://www.bonsaitodayonline.com/editorial038.htm
, and I truly hope that one day the art of bonsai
in the west can grow up and mature to the degree
that other arts have - where there is room for
artists and collectors, and both are regarded as
important and "valid" (whatever that means).
Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge zone 8, Texas
Hi Andy ,
Have just read your article, and you touch
on something that I must admit I hadn't even
thought about in that context.
I have done the "encouraging new club
members to go and buy a bit of nursery stock"
thing and had never really questioned it! U are
right, though; maybe I should get them to buy a
Bonsai and learn to care for it!!
Having said that, in the UK it does seem
that most people get into Bonsai and become
enthusiasts to style trees, in fact, I think I
only know one person who could be truly defined as
a collector and would be happy to be so called.
In your article you appear to imply that
maybe it is the fault of the system and prejudice
that this is the case, have I read that right? Is
food for thought anyway
Cheers
Darren

Andy, the problem with do-it-yourself and buying
has to do with one thing - money. I personally
know of only two collectors in Florida who pay to
have their trees maintained/styled. Both are
extremely wealthy and can afford to have gardeners
take care of the rest of their stuff.
The rest of us maintain our own creations
and other trees that we buy. This is a big
difference between bonsai and most other art.
Unlike paintings, where I can buy one and hang it
on the wall and pretty much not worry about it
from day to day, bonsai need daily care and
attention.
It would be interesting for bonsai in the
USA, if we developed some serious patrons of the
art like exist in Japan. Then perhaps bonsai
artists can make decent living from the largess of
the patrons. The drawback is it would drive up the
cost of good trees as has happened in Japan. I for
one would hate to compete with Bill Gates in a
bonsai auction. (Unless I was selling )
You are right on the competition aspect.
With the advent of big competitions that judge the
quality of the tree only, you might attract
patrons. A close parallel is horse racing. Wealthy
owners pay trainers and stable hands to groom and
train the horses. The owners only watch them race
and get fame and or prize money. The owners rarely
even ride the horses.
I have no problem with purchasing good
trees, other than can I afford the price. With
slow developing species, such as Japanese Black
Pine, it might be the best way to go.
One interesting trend that is picking up
in Florida is renting bonsai trees to owners.
Florida has a unique phenomena called snow
birding. People, usually well off, spend the
winter in Florida to escape the dreary cold up
north. Some of the wealthy snow birds have taken
to renting bonsai trees while they are in town.
They even pay for the maintenance. So far, it is a
small trend - but it might grow and then perhaps
spread.
Rob Kempinski

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++