Old 11-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Peak wind speeds

The message

The figure for Lewis is somewhat impressive - much higher than
hurricane Isobel - in fact, Lewis gets winds higher than that
rather anaemic hurricane every year :-)

I worked in one of the Stornoway dairies waves to Joe and the
engineers erecting a television repeater station mast used to come in
most mornings to buy milk.

An old friend of mine (mentioned here several times in that past) was a
crofter, county councillor on the planning committee, ex RN man, etc. He
saw the mast as it was nearing completion. It stood at the top of a
large hill - or small mountain called (or at least, pronounced) Etchell.

He was telling me about it some time later. "Ach, the firsht good
hurri-cane we have, and that will be down!"

I relayed this prediction to the engineers, who assured me that they had
put up similar masts all over Britain, and "We've never had one come
down yet."

A fortnight later it was a chastened engineer who came for the

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk