Old 11-10-2003, 09:12 AM
martin

Default Peak wind speeds

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:32:46 +0100, Christopher Norton
wrote:

The message

In article , Ric wrote:

Interested to know how they derived those figures, and whether builders are
legally required to use those figures. I wouldn't worry about your house
blowing down - even the lowest figure (for London) is over F12 on the
Beaufort scale and barely survivable in the open.

Dunno. The reference is:

CP3: Chapter V: Part 2: 1972. Wind Loads. British Standards
Institution.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

/me reaches for his copy of above standard.

The map of the united kingdom shows the various windspeeds as "Maximum
gust speed likely to be exceeded on the avarage only once in 50 years at
10m above the ground in open level country."

Londons figure is in the 38m/s band and is the lowest in the country.

perhaps an indication of the lack of open level country in London?

--
Martin