Old 11-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Andrew Ostrander

Default 2 newbie gardening questions

"Sniz Pilbor" wrote in message
.. There are some
materials we are curious about with regard to mulching/composting
properties that aren't found in our composting tome. Could you give
any info on their properties, their vices and virtues in a compost
pit? The materials a
2a. soap
2b. feathers
2c. shells (snailshells, seashells)
2d. rabbit fur
2e. human hair
2f. paper
2g. partical board
2h. plastic/rubber
2i. rust (detached.. not associated with a metal object)
2j. glass
2k. roof tiles

Soap is fat plus salts. No real benefit, probably undesirable.

Feathers, fur, hair are all about the same. They will take a long time to
degrade and contribute little. Animal products are not usually recommended
for compost heaps.

Shells, plastic/rubber, glass will not decompose and add no value. Using
them would be like adding rocks to your garden, and why would you want to do
that?

Particle board and roof tiles have too many unknown chemicals in them to be
recommended.

Rust is already decomposed. If you want to add it to your garden just throw
it on. It might contribute iron.

Why do you say compost pit? For fast composting your materials need access
to oxygen, which they will not get if they are in a pit.

Andrew