Old 11-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Tony Bull

Default Sharpening spades

"DLee" wrote in message ...
Hi All

I have 2 spades - one works great - it goes through to any soil with little
effort, and cuts soil like butter. The other one does not work very well.
The difference? One has sharp edge, the other has blunt edge.

What tools are best for sharpening spades?

cheers

Dan

Use a file. The hardness of the spade is quite low so that a file will
easily cut it. Use a file also on hand shears also but only file the
bevel thats already there. The spade is not a precision cutting
instrument so it doesn't matter whether you file both edges or just
one but I agree with the other correspondent that the finer the angle
the quicker the spade will become blunt.
Tony Bull
www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk