Old 11-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Another "art" debate?

From: "Andy Rutledge"

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Lewis"
snip
And, some rather forceful opinions here to the contrary
notwistanding (or something like that ;-), there is

absolutely
nothing wrong with bonsai as a craft.

snip
-------------------

Why the distinction between art and craft? All art involves

craft. You're
right, there is nothing wrong with bonsai as a craft. Being a

craft and its
participants using craft in no way interferes with the fact

that bonsai is
an art form. Why would you believe that it does?

Well, I don't know how many times I have to say this (and you'll
no doubt say "lots, because you're wrong," to which I have to
reply with a shrug) but I said earlier in this discussion that
in the right hands, bonsai CAN be an art.

But just like all painting is not "art" so all bonsai is not
"art." (You don't -- EVER -- want to see me do a painting!)

As for craft, there's always been a distinction between "art" and
"craft" (but don't ask me to tell you what it is; that what
this -- and many other -- discussion is about). And yes, there
is (can be) craft involved in art -- though true artists can (and
have) created art with very little "craft" knowledge. The
"craft" in art, however, is the technique you learn to make you a
BETTER artist.

The craft in "bonsai art" is learning how to do proper wiring,
learning how the species you are working on behaves under certain
conditions, etc. But knowing those skills does NOT make one an
artist. The craft is teachable. The art isn't (largely).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Having fun .
.. . even if Andy isn't. ;-)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++