Old 11-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Fairy Rings

The message
from iljunk (Pen Phill) contains these words:

Did you look at the picture? Agaricus campestris or A. arvensis I'd say
- certainly not Merasmius oreades.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

I think I will look that up. Looks a nice long Latin name! They were
certainly
tasty whatever their name. I don't know about maximising the crop as
they seem
to be COMMON here. I took some of mine over to my neighbour to check
they were
OK as suggested and they were even growing on the grass verge where I was
standing!
Another friend collected 7 kilos is as many minutes from a nearby field. The
French though are VERY au fait with the different fungi though.

You can salt the young caps, or preserve them in oil. Your neighbours
would show you how.

I have a very
pretty red one growing in the lawn as well...got white spots

Unlikely. Amanite muscaria grows in and on the margins/clearings of woodland.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk