Old 12-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Sed5555

Default Already Sprouted Autumn-blooming Crocus Bulbs

I've read in the past that planting
well-sprouted autumn crocuses can be like planting narcissus bulbs that
were forced during the winter -- they are depleted & may never fully
"recharge" to naturalize properly.

Are they true autumn crocus (Crocus sativus) or Colchicums? the Crocus sativus
is a member of the iris family and has residual foliage to "recharge" the
corms. But I've heard that the bloom the first year is the best and they should
be divided every year, so maybe it would be like planting iris corms and it
wouldn't make any difference that they have already sprouted.
The Chochicums are actually in the lily family (bulbs) and the foliage appears
in spring, then dies back before they actually bloom (also called 'naked
ladies'). I would there would be a chance that these bulbs would be depleted,
with no foliage to help them "recharge." But then I'm just guessing.
sed5555