Old 12-10-2003, 04:12 AM
Zemedelec

Default Already Sprouted Autumn-blooming Crocus Bulbs

. I've read in the past that planting
well-sprouted autumn crocuses can be like planting narcissus bulbs that
were forced during the winter -- they are depleted & may never fully
"recharge" to naturalize properly. But I find myself thinking that they
wouldn't recharge until bloom was completed & only grass remained, so what
would be the problem with buying heavily discounted autumn bloomers even
if they won't look like much until NEXT autumn.

? Did they perennialize & naturalize as
well as those that were put into the ground in a more timely manner? I'm
buying some of these discounted bulbs either way, but would like to know
if I should expect any disappointment.

-paghat the ratgirl

We'll both know the answer in a couple of years. Yours probably have a better
chance than mine, but at that price I'll try a few marginal bulbs--maybe put a
lot inside in a kingsize pot and have crocus in November. I do seem to remember
the Saffron variety sprouting out of the fieldstone walls at AUB in Beirut late
in fall...

BRBR

zemedelec