Old 12-10-2003, 06:32 AM
FOW

Default Hydrangea blooms

Throw some 16-16-16 on them or some acid food at em and water well. I have
some 60 year old one's and can't kill em if I tried. Their like roses, they
always come back.
They should be shade about 1/2 the day.
"Steve Wolfe" wrote in message
The over-fertilizing is a possibility.

Applying great amounts of fertilizers to hydrangeas (and a lot of
flowering plants) tends to promote foliage growth over blooms, but in
order to keep the plant from producing *any* blooms. Here's an excerpt
from http://www.recipegoldmine.com/gardengary/gg77.html with more common
causes:

"
Hydrangeas sometimes fail to bloom. Here are several reasons...

Frost damage to flower buds
Pruning in late summer
Too much shade
Too much high-nitrogen fertilizer
Plant is not old enough yet.

Hydrangeas form their flower buds in late summer for the following year,
so pruning in late summer, fall and winter will remove potential flowers.
Prune when the flower heads begin to fade. Snip back other shoots to
encourage branching and fullness.
"

steve