Old 12-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Renardine

In article ,
Jaques d'Altrades wrote:

Sorry, but that is the converse of the truth. A long cartridge
will make a hole 3" deep and 1" wide, which would kill cleanly even
with a thorax shot.

And that's hollowpoint only. A ·22 LR can miss any immediately fatal
areas, and run off and die.

Eh? I was referring to hollowpoint! Don't they make .22 LR hollowpoint
any longer - it used to be virtually the only kind you could buy.

Even a HV centrefire rifle expanding bullet doesn't always kill.

As I said, using too heavy a rifle is one of the known causes of
NOT killing cleanly. It is quite likely to go straight through.
Also, most of those bullets are designed to expand, whereas a .22
(long or magnum, not short) typically breaks up.

Now, the first shot had eviscerated it and removed its manhood. Its body
cavity was hollow right up to the diphragm.

And this is why I support fox hunting rather than shooting - the fox is
either quickly killed or it gets away.

(I used not to support fox hunting, but experience has taught me differently.)

I certainly agree with that. The unspeakable Burns report very carefully
did not consider the cruelty involved in banning foxhunting - only that
in foxhunting itself.

Note that the method you were using was the one favoured by the Burns
report, except that it referred to a .22 rather than a .243. If the
keeper had hit where he was aiming for, of course, the fox would have
been dead with either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.