Old 12-10-2003, 06:32 PM
enoughluncheonmeat!

Default Weed Killer

"Colin Williams" wrote in message
Can one of you educated gardeners please advise me as what weed killer I
need to buy for the following application? I am about to dig up my garden
and lay a shingle path. I have been advised to lay a membrane under the
shingle and wonder if I should apply weed killer first to stop the weeds
coming through later. Any help would be appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Colin Williams

You have choices, depending on your approach to Life and the Universe and
Everythang.
The uninformed would use a glyphosate and hang the consequences of
groundwater contamination.
If you are willing to put a bit more into your own property, consider
digging up/turning over the garden area where your path is to go, allowing
the overturned stuff to decompose once it is covered. You could flame the
area first, using a propane torch that has a similar effect on plants,
exploding the cellular structures and thus rendering them incapable of
growth...THEN turn them over. You could spray (most gardeners just love to
spray) 20% vinegar on them plants first to kill them off.
My suggestion is not to skimp on the quality of membrane, cheap weedcloth
should be doubled (folded over) before you add the path's material. I have
actually placed thick poly bits directly on a pathway area, then added
weedcloth, then a layer of screening (smallish stones) then level the
substrate then add the path surface materials and gently raking that level.
Some weed seeds can be dormant for decades, the trick is to cut off oxygen,
moisture and light so as they remain dormant.
Hey, YOU asked.

--
You have to remember that 80% of people are part of The Herd.
The 80% of the population that is braindead.

http://www.renaissancegardens.com/
msn messenger: Hortus Plasticus )
Outgoing email checked by Norton AV