Old 13-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Tim Challenger

Default Growing coriander

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:34:56 GMT, M. Tiefert wrote:

In article , "Abso" wrote:

If the latter, what is the best way of harvesting in order to encourage
future re-growth? is it better to just pick the leaves off the plant
or to nip the entire stem including leaves, leaving a short stub above
the compost level?

If it's the same thing that's called coriander in the US, it's a
biennial, like parsley. So it would be best to let it go to seed, if you
can get it to do so. Meanwhile harvest some leaves as long as they're
tender, but then stop when they get tougher.

Nah, it's an annual. I think it's known as cilantro in some parts of the
US. Maybe there's a biennal sort as well, but I've not come across one.

It does regrow a little bit if you cut it, to extend its usefulness.
Coriander likes it warm and moist, rather than hot.
You could leave some of yours to bolt and set seed, then use that as well,
but you'll have to do a bit of hand pollination then, I reckon.

Personally I'd use up what you have and plant some seeds from a shop for a
later crop if you have a mild, well-lit windowsill somewhere. It's pretty
easy to grow as ling as it's light, warm(or at least mild - it's growing
slowly here in around 4-16°C temps).

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.