Old 13-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Gabra

Default Fast growing tree to screen house from street?

"Claude" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest a suitable tree that I can plant to create a 20 metre
'hedge' to screen my house from the street? Needs to be (a) visually

dense
(b) have foliage low to the ground and (c) most importantly, grow quickly.
Preferable if it doesn't grow too high but I suppose I could always trim

it
regularly. I live in Melbourne so a hardy native would be preferable
provided it meets the above criteria. Someone suggested Pitostrums would

be
suitable (although my wife hates them - don't know why)

Problem with my suggestion is that I don't think it'll grow to 20 metres!
However, I love my wattle--within 2 years, it grew dense enough to screen my
house from the road. It grew dense and low because I kept snipping the top.
Forgot what it's called, but its got silver little leaves and yellow 'pom
pom' flowers, beautiful when it flowers, and silver foliage is cool. The
only thing about wattles is that I heard they're short lived, so you need to
plant something else to take its place (perhaps something slower growing but
more long-lived and ideal?). That being said, I know someone who has had the
same species wattle for 8 years.