Old 13-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Christopher Norton

Default Peak wind speeds

The message

Londons figure is in the 38m/s band and is the lowest in the country.
You then use this map to design any requirements for the wind forces.

Yes, that's what I said.

Just quoting the actual standard to verify your point.

My view for what it`s worth is that considering the MANY amendments we
have had for structural design over the past 5 years let alone the last
30 this code of practice should have been revised a long time ago.

Why? There is no evidence that the weather has changed significantly
in that respect (despite what the murdochs put in their headlines),
so it will remain good until that does happen. My guess is that
modern data would change it by only a few percent, which is irrelevant
in this context.

Wind speeds here in Lincs have increased as my fathers friend is one of
these amateur weathermen and he has records going back nearly 50 years.
It`s also drier in summer but wetter in winter (for what it`s worth)

However, I do think the code should be revised to bring it "up to date"
in format as well as the hard data. Just my opinion of course.

--
email farmer chris on

Please don`t use
as it`s a spam haven.