Old 13-10-2003, 09:22 PM
E.Otter

Default experience with compact flash lighting

I'm thinking of using a 55watt 21" long compact fluorescent light over my
29g (30L x 12wide x 18high ) tank.

The distance between the bottom of the light and the hood would be about 1
inche. The distance between the light and the water line would be 3 inches.
I would like to plant Java ferns, Java moss, Anubias barteri, and crinium
thianum... maybe 10 - 12 plants initially.

A couple questions.
Would 10-12 plants be considered a lot of plants for this size tank?

Would the amount of heat produced by the compact fluorescent light require
changing from a plastic tank cover to a glass tank cover?

Would this be too little, too much, or just enough light? I would like to
maintain an 11-12 hour light cycle.