Old 14-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Paul

Default why not undergravel

wrote in message ...
In article 2mGib.763975$uu5.132669@sccrnsc04,
Dinky wrote:

wrote in message
news:UwFib.32072$La.13389@fed1read02...

If you simply use deeper gravel, the water will not flow well through
it, and you've defeated the function of the UG anyway. Best filter for a
planted tank is generally agreed upon to be the canister type.

I haven't seen a canister filter specifically for aquarium use. I
imagine this is the most expensive route as well. I can immediately
think of one obvious advantage: you have an additional few gallons of
water.

I am picturing something like a Katadyn flow thru filter, with homemade
fittings and a pump, built into a 5 gallon bucket. Even homemade, what
I'm thinking of would easily cost a couple hundred bucks. But the water
on the output side would be safe to drink...

Seems like overkill. I'm stuck with my choices for the time being. I
think my gravel is deep enough, and I guess I have plenty of filtration
from the charcoal filter. My fish seem to like bubbles... Like I
said, it's cranked way, way down anyway. I hadn't thought of the roots
being a problem, and it hadn't occurred to me that they would ever have
to move.

you should do some research on canister filters. they are the most popular
method of filtration today for aquaria. There are more than 5 different
brands and scores of models...

Undergravel filtration is a less than perfect method of filtration.