Old 14-10-2003, 08:32 AM
John Caldwell

Default Irrigation system: trenching vs trenchless?

In our part of the woods we see a machine called a DitchWitch that trenches
a yard to burry pipe. Our code requires electrical to be buried 12" deep
inside of 3/4" thick wall pipe. For PVC water pipe, I guess their is no
local code governing lawn sprinkle systems but if it's just down 6" and you
start spading a flowerbed in the future, Your sure to cut it in half. It can
be fixed but mostly the only problem will be a very wet patch of lawn until
you discover the problem. Some contractors take an easy way during
installation by simple splitting the ground apart with a shovel - not
removing any dirt - then tamping the split after laying the PVC 6" under the
surface. It's your call. Jack
"John F" wrote in message
om...
I just got a quote for an irrigation system for my yard. I was
explained this system does not require trenching and for this reason
is less expensive. He also explained that there are no other
differences in terms of performance or anything else.

I would like to know if is this information is correct - that there
are no major differences in the systems except for the installation
method and the difference in damage to the lawn. Are there any other
benefits involved in trenching for an irrigation system?

Thanks for your help