Old 14-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Sacha

Default Clematis cuttings

in article , Pam Moore at
wrote on 14/10/03 10:39 am:

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:19:17 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Remember that in the case of clematis cuttings should not be taken at a
joint, but midway between joints.

So I have always understood but never succeeded. However on a
Gardeners' World a few months ago Chris Beardshaw said he finds nodal
cuttings are better!
Can we have more details of your layering process please Franz?
Any definitive advice, anyone?

Pam in Bristol

Ray says ( ;- ) he takes cuttings which include the node. He leaves just a
millimetre or so of stem below the node. He takes off any leaves near the
node and leaves just two at the top. HTH.
Doing it without the nodes means you get more cuttings from one plant (he
tells me) but he thinks they root better using the node.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk