Old 14-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Organic remedy for tomato blight ?

"Pam wrote in message
I tried the only suggested control this year for the first time. I
sprayed the plants 3 times with Bordeaux mixture.
Did it work? Not sure!
A few plants got blight anyway at the end of August ( the worst time)
but some didn't and went on cropping.
The Bordeaux mixture leaves an awful white deposit on leaves and fruit
and there was need to take all fruit home and wash it before eating.

I too normally use BM as we grow all our Toms outside on the allotments but
this year as we got the French variety "Ferline" from the Kitchen Garden
(Blight resistant) we grew without BM to test and had no problems with
blight even on the normal varieties we grow (Vicki, Brigade, Panovy).
Probably because we have had no rain at all, and we are still watering, in
October!

Might be worth you trying "Ferline" (very large but normal shape fruit) next
year though, they are in the catalogues for 2004. There are also some other
French varieties that are supposed to be resistant but I don't know the
names. Anyone else know them for when we go to France?

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.