Old 14-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Sacha

Default Blackbirds

in article , jane at
wrote on 14/10/03 3:54 pm:

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:

~I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
~leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
~point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
~they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
~until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
~stabilising the bark?
~Lucy
~
~
black (coloured) bird netting?

I'm sorry to be contentious but what would that achieve other than trapped
birds?
I'd prefer to have all kinds of crap thrown all over our garden to ensure
the blackbirds and all other kinds of birds keep coming to it. For a start,
they're eating insects that some people will next year have to spray to
kill, for a second they are doing what comes naturally and it is we, who
have a passion for immaculate gardens and squared away, hospital-corner
flower beds who are metaphorically treading on their toes.
Leave the birds alone and be glad to have them - all too many are now
disappearing.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)