Old 14-10-2003, 06:12 PM
paghat

Default Question (I need this answer seriously as soon as possible)

Mad: I've never liked moving & now that I own a house it's nice to believe
I'll never again have to, & yet I do sometimes fantasize moving to a
property big enough for me to start a collection of beech trees, beech
trees all over the place, a whole forest of fancy-ass cultivars in all
colors, a garden of TREES, ooo, ooo, let's sell our place right now & move
to the middle of nowhere!

My partner sometimes talks about moving us to Idaho because she has family
there, & we go there a lot. I find it is a lot less horrible to imagine
having to leave here if I think about the sorts of things I could grow.
There's much that grows here that I love that I'd have to give up because
they'd be doomed in Idaho winters, but I would greatly look forward to
collecting ladyslipper terrestrial orchids that I can't grow here because
our winters are too mild for them to have their cold period, but would do
great in an Idaho garden. I wonder if making a list of stuff ideal for
southwest climates & picturing a future garden in your mind wouldn't take
the awful edge off the upset of having to make such a major change.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"