Old 14-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Question (I need this answer seriously as soon as possible)

The message
from "Madgardener" contains these words:

no, I didn't think anyone would ask, it's kinda a shock to me at the moment.
Squire came home from the trucking school today and handed me this print out
from TVI that read as if it were his resume. If I give him the word, he'll
apply for this position

Okay, well stop there and calm down a bit; you've got MUCH MORE than
24 hours to make a decision.

Is it likely he's the *only* well qualified applicant?. I don't know
how jobs are going in the USA, but in the UK adverts often attract
hundreds of applicants. They won't all be suitable but they all have to
be looked at. Sorting the wheat from the chaff, arranging interviews,
shortlisting and final decision, takes several weeks minimum. Even when
a verbal offer goes out to the chosen applicant, sorting out the details
of the contract can take another week or two. Even then, nothing is cut
and dried till both sides sign the contract. Sometimes, after taking a
look round, meeting the people, or whatever, successful applicants
withdraw.

All you need say now is "Go ahead and apply, but let's not make the
final decision yet".You've got plenty of time to talk to him, think it
over, research it, buy a sub to local newspapers, go look at the place
together (if he goes for interview) etc. Then trust that your long close
bond will almost certainly help you both make the same choice.

HTH

Janet