Old 14-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Sarracenia purpurea: gardeners dream or growers hype?

The message
from (Andy Spragg) contains these words:

(snip the slugbuster plant)

So now I have this plant in my possession, certain questions spring to
mind. Like: given that (in a pot context) it likes to sit in a saucer
of (rain)water, how are the slugs going to get across the moat? I
would like to plant it out in the garden, in a simulated peat-bog
micro-environment. Is this a reasonable thing to do (for instance,
sink a large container filled with peat, plant it in that and keep it
well watered at all times)?

I've planted an old washing up bowl (no holes)a couple of inches
underneath a bog-loving plant so that it could make up its own mind
about the choicest spot for the roots.

Janet.