Old 14-10-2003, 09:22 PM
The Real Bev

Default Street tree advice

Alison wrote:

I would like to plant a tree on the sidewalk grass strip in front of
my house that will eventually grow into a tall, graceful shade tree
(no fruit trees, please). The strip is less than 5 feet wide, but I
have seen some pretty big trees growing in strips that size in the
area. I would like to avoid trees with shallow, invasive roots (my
perennial garden is less than 10 feet away), and would be looking for
one that has beautiful fall color. I live in Providence, Rhode Island
(zone 5), and the location faces south. I don't mind slow growers,
because I see this as a tree for future generations, and I would like
my garden to get some more sun in the near future.

Around here I'd have to get permission from the City to plant a tree in
the parking strip and they might not let me plant ANYTHING there
(parking strips are City property). If it were mine I'd kill that
stupid 40-year-old 15-foot tall scraggy magnolia tree and put in a
jacaranda, but they'd probably put me in jail for that.

I've never seen a more beautiful tree back east than the oaks and
maples. Could something be better than those?

--
Ch rs,
B v