Old 14-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] messages

Why is it that my messages take so long to reach the list? It
can take up to
24hrs to be on the list, I had confirmation that it was being

sent but still
not there.
Geoff.

In a word (partly, at least) SPAM.

Over the last 2 weeks (2-3 months, actually, but it stepped up
again) the volume of SPAM on the I'net has multiplied. This
slows everything down.

I get error messages from LISTSERV every day saying that LISTSERV
(the software the sends list messages) is monitoring XXX number
of e-mail addresses (184 today) for errors. All but 4 of those
184 were not addresses that were subscribed to the list, but were
still generating errors -- they were from spammers.

LISTERV keeps these from reaching your mailbox.

I often see answers to message a day or two before I see the
original question. This is ANOTHER reason it is nice to quote at
least part of the incoming message you are referring to (while
snipping away all unnecessary portions, of course).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -- Bonsai List
manager

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++