Old 14-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Chelsea Christenson

Default Street tree advice

Alison wrote:
I would like to plant a tree on the sidewalk grass strip in front of
my house that will eventually grow into a tall, graceful shade tree
(no fruit trees, please). The strip is less than 5 feet wide, but I
have seen some pretty big trees growing in strips that size in the
area. I would like to avoid trees with shallow, invasive roots (my
perennial garden is less than 10 feet away), and would be looking for
one that has beautiful fall color. I live in Providence, Rhode Island
(zone 5), and the location faces south. I don't mind slow growers,
because I see this as a tree for future generations, and I would like
my garden to get some more sun in the near future.

I don't know how it would fit, but now that they have disease-resistant
elms, it would be nice to have them lining streets again.

I have both a Bloodgood Japanese maple and a kousa dogwood within
planting beds, so neither has a destructive root system, and they both
have great color.