Old 15-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Jan Flora

Default grow lights

In article , "Miles Long"
wrote:

Do florescent grow lights work well? I'm thinking about setting up a area in
my basement to start some cuttings. Any info or ideas for setting up an area
would help. What worked and didn't work.

Yes, they work just fine. If you have lots of money, buy Grow-Lux tubes.
If you don't, buy a cool white and a warm white. (The regulars around here
will surely jump in to correct me, since I'm trying to remember what my
mom does. I haven't tried it yet.)

My local extension agent (cooperative extension service) hung lights
under the workbench in his garage last winter to start seeds. He said
it worked great. He must have a heated garage though, since we're in
Alaska.

Costco in Anchorage sells these "baker's racks" pretty cheap. They're
stainless steel racks that are perfect for starting seeds and rooting cuttings.
I don't think you can move the shelves around. My neighbor, who is a truck
farmer, starts all of her seeds on these things, with the lights hanging over
each shelf.

Do a google. I'll bet you'll be swamped with good ideas. Do a search for
"CES ________ [insert your state name]" I'll bet they've got info on
there about using grow lights. Minnesota CES has loads of good info, if
your state doesn't. Your tax dollars support the Cooperative Extension
Service. It's free. Use it liberally. They hire folks who really know
their stuff. (They are the one federally funded agency that wouldn't
feel the bite of my sword, if I was Queen of the Federal Budget.)

Jan