Old 15-10-2003, 03:02 AM
HA HA Budys Here

Default Street tree advice

From: The Real Bev
Date: 10/14/2003 4:21 PM Eastern Standard Time
Alison wrote:

I would like to plant a tree on the sidewalk grass strip in front of
my house that will eventually grow into a tall, graceful shade tree
(no fruit trees, please). The strip is less than 5 feet wide, but I
have seen some pretty big trees growing in strips that size in the
area. I would like to avoid trees with shallow, invasive roots (my
perennial garden is less than 10 feet away), and would be looking for
one that has beautiful fall color. I live in Providence, Rhode Island
(zone 5), and the location faces south. I don't mind slow growers,
because I see this as a tree for future generations, and I would like
my garden to get some more sun in the near future.

Around here I'd have to get permission from the City to plant a tree in
the parking strip and they might not let me plant ANYTHING there
(parking strips are City property). If it were mine I'd kill that
stupid 40-year-old 15-foot tall scraggy magnolia tree and put in a
jacaranda, but they'd probably put me in jail for that.

I've never seen a more beautiful tree back east than the oaks and
maples. Could something be better than those?

--
Ch rs,
B v

Try these reccommendations:
http://town.huntington.ny.us/permit_pics/121.pdf

MINOR TREES [Use under utility lines and in 3’ tree-lawns (the area
between the curb and sidewalk) 1 ½” to 3” in caliper, 30’ apart]
... Acer campestre – Hedge Maple
... Acer ginnala – Amur Maple
... Acer buergerinaum – Trident Maple
... Carpinus betululus – European Hornbean
... Viburnum prunifolium – Black-haw Viburnum
... Koeleuteria paniculata – Golden raintree
... Prunus virginiana – Shubert Cherry
... Prunus sargentii – Sargent Cherry
... Amelanchier arborea – Service Berry
... Magnolia galaxy – Galaxy Magnolia
... Pyrus calleryana – Aristocrat, Cleveland Select, Redspire
... Syringa reticulata – Japanese Tree Lilac
MAJOR TREES
2 ½” to 3” caliper spaced 40’ to 50’ apart
... Quercus borealis – Red Oak
... Quercus phellos – Willow Oak
... Quercus imbricaria – Shingle Oak
... Quercus acutissima – Sawtooth Oak
... Fraxinus pennsyvanica – Green Oak
... Tilia Cordata – Littleleaf Linden
... Tiliatomentosa – Silver Linden
... Ginkgo biloba – Ginkgo (fruitless cultivars)
... Celtis Occidentalis – Kackberry
... Gleditsia Triacanthos – Honey Locust
... Gymnocladus dioicus – Kentucky Coffetree
... Acer rubrum – Red Maple
... Sophcra Japonica – Pagodatree
... Zelkova Serrata – Zelkova
... Ulmus parvifolia – Chinese Elm
... Eucommia ulmoides – Hardy Rubber Tree
... Nyssa sylvatica - Blackgum
• If sidewalk exists, tree must be planted between the curb and the sidewalk,
2 feet behind the face of
the curb.
• If no sidewalk exists, tree must be planted 5 feet behind the face of the
curb.
• For increasing diversity and minimizing the spread of disease, several
species of trees should be used,
installed on an alternating basis.
town.