Old 15-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Gale Pearce

Default Wintering my small pond(first year)

Sorry I never caught your question sooner - I am in SW Ont (35 mi from
Windsor/ Detroit) - 24" deep is ok in my area for leaving fish in pond -
mine is 17" in shallow end and 26" in deep end, although a bit larger ~ 1000
US gals - my water iris sits on a shallow shelf - 6" of water and freezes
solid every year - no problem, always comes back (10 yrs) my hardy lilies
stay in the shallow end and don't freeze - I never get more than 6" - 7" of
ice - the water hyancinths (floating type - is there any other?) I have
always disposed of - never heard you could leave them in the pond as is
mentioned farther down in this thread, but worth a try - don't know anything
about pickerel rush
If you leave your fish outdoors, be sure to run an airstone, or heater (I
prefer the airstone as it is much easier on hydro)
Gale :~)
"Scrapster1" wrote in message
.. .
Hi, I live in Ontario, Canada and it can get cold here in the winter, -20.
I have a small pond around 200 gal, 24 inches deep. I have some goldfish

and
plants (hardy lily, pickeral rush, hyacinth, water iris). At what
temperature should I begin to bring the fish in. As for the plants, which
will survive outdoors and which should I bring indoors. As for the pond
itself, how would I prepare it? Thanks.