Old 15-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Tim Challenger

Default Growing coriander

On 14 Oct 2003 19:11:19 GMT, Abso wrote:

On 13/10/2003 at 21:16:01, Jaques d'Altrades typed:

The message m
from (M. Tiefert) contains these words:

If it's the same thing that's called coriander in the US, it's a
biennial, like parsley. So it would be best to let it go to seed,
if you can get it to do so. Meanwhile harvest some leaves as long
as they're tender, but then stop when they get tougher.

Buy a small bag of coriander seeds and in the early spring sow them
somewhere in the sun. They thrive.

I wonder whether the coriander seed sold as a cooking ingredient (which
I've often dry roasted and ground) will germinate to produce plants?
No reason why not, I suppose. Perhaps I'll try it next spring.

It would depend on the manufacturer, wether they roast the seeds slightly
first, although I have tried this with great success - use the freshest you
can get, but the seeds seem to be able to germinate for a long time, at
least a couple of years.
They take a long tocome up, say around 2-4 weeks, so don't give up too
early. The warmer the better. Try it, what have you got to loose?

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.