Old 15-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Frogleg

Default Street tree advice

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:47:07 -0700, David Ross
wrote:

Alison wrote:

I would like to plant a tree on the sidewalk grass strip in front of
my house that will eventually grow into a tall, graceful shade tree

The reason you should contact your city is that cities usually
have lists of recommended trees. These lists are based on what
will thrive in your climate and in the confined space between the
sidewalk and curb. The lists are also based on what will not
invade sewer lines, lift sidewalks, or drip on parked cars.

I agree with this advice. My city went through a major tree-cutting
operation several years ago after they did sidewalk repair/renovation.
A good part of the repair was necessary because of very large old
trees heaving up the concrete. The recent hurricane brought down trees
of many species, so I would (now) be concerned about a tree that might
grow tall enough to span a lawn and fall on a house. The "official"
street tree here is crape myrtle, and while many of *those* were
downed, they aren't enoumously heavy (or tall, usually) and their
canopy is fluffy and light. Alas, not hardy in RI, I assume.
Providence should have a list that will help you select.