Old 15-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Crotons make for easy care indoor plants?

Time for another reality check for BJ.

The reason most people grow crotons is for the colorful foliage.

The leaf color fades and the leaves drop in low light conditions.

Unless you have copious artificial light or a sunny bay window or a
greenhouse, trying to grow crotons indoors will be a big disappointment as
are you, BJ.

Many plants actually bloom when they are under stress. Not surprised at all
that even plants find you difficult to live with, BJ.

B & J bjskeff@removecox-internetcom wrote in message
The conditions John described certainly make crotons a bad choice for his
situation, but your assertion that innumerable artificial lights are
necessary to maintain a croton isn't necessarily so. We kept one in the
windows of our south facing living area that have gotten so large that we
took cuttings and threw the huge 4' plant out this fall. We did keep it
outside on our north facing porch during the summer and hauled it inside
after washing off the spider mites when frost was imminent, but we have
never provided addition artificial light during the winter. It grew from a
small 1' plant in three years. Yes, it lost leaves while inside, but so

many
side shoots broke and so many new leave developed to replace those lost

that
the loss was unnoticeable. If blossoms were a sign of happiness, it

bloomed
two or three times a year.

John
"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
. com...
Very bad. They require far more light than one can possible maintain

indoors
without running up a very high electric bill or burning the house down

with
halogen lamps.

wrote in message
Is a Croton a bad choice for a plant that is almost
acre free when it comes to indoor plants?

I have on low light in my apartment.

Crotons a bad choice for that?

They are colorful...and that's why Im interested in
them

John