Old 15-10-2003, 02:32 PM
John Towill

Default An Englishman's home is his castle!

Maybe, but if so his trees are not included.

As I have written before I have a preservation order on three very large
lime trees. This means that while I cannot carry out any work on them, or
under their canopy, without permission from the local council, I am still
responsible for them and any damage they may cause, rather one sided I
think.

Now I also have a number of trees at the bottom rear of my garden, mainly
alder, most of which I intended slowly removing and replacing with a
variety, but also two oaks and silver birch.
Yesterday came a knock on the door. A very pleasant young Scot showed me
his authority from a firm of tree surgeons working for the electricity
suppliers.
It seem that under health and safety these fairly mature trees are too close
to electricity lines running along the bottom of my garden. Now I have the
choose, I can sign to say that I refuse to let them touch them, in which
case they will obtain a court order, or I can give them permission to fell
them, which I did.
In fact I am pleased to see the alders going, as I would have removed them
over the next few years as their replacements grew, also it will open up our
view considerably. Though I am a little sad to see the oaks and silver
birch go. I am also sad to think that in years to come the trees I have
planted will be felled for the same reason. Though who knows maybe by then
electricity above ground cables will be a thing of the past.
Just thought that I would share this with you all.
So, all you macho men out there, remember, you neither own your trees or
your wife! :-)
Cheers
John T