Old 15-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Betsy

Default Seek input on Leyland Cypress

I've seen it done without that issue--have you seen this problem first hand?

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
I would respectfully disgree, Betsy. If one planted Leylands 5' apart, the
end result would be dieback on each tree's interior facing side of

foliage,
a higher likelihood of pests and diseases, and much short-lived trees.

Dave

"Betsy" -0 wrote in message
Their ultimate height depends on how close together you plant them.

They
won't grow as tall if the roots are competing because of close planting.

"
Touching" isn't a problem, you want them to do that, but not when you

plant
them. Planted 5 feet apart they'll touch in a couple of years, when

they
are about 8-10 feet tall.

"Lecher9000" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies. I'm still considering the LEyland, but am

looking
at
blue spruce too, but the Blue S's are more expensive.

I am getting conflicting info (as I always do when researching
anything) about the height of the mature "green" Leyland Cypress. I

usually
see 40 to 60 on the label on the tree, but yesterday I saw a label

indicating
20 to 30, or 30 to 40, for a "green" LC. Actually, 30 to 40 would

be
preferable, for me.

As far as environment for my prospective LC's. they would be 8 to 10

feet
apart (getting conflicting advice about how far apart to plant,

whether
tree-touching-tree is / is not a problem). They would be in full sun,

and
would
be screening out a commercial nursery (how ironic, eh ?). The

"nursery"
land
is used as a dump for the nursery owner's road paving business !!

These
trees
will shade his property. The only view I will be "ruining" for the

other
neighbors will be their view of the dump, and, if the trees grow tall

enough,
their view of the horizon above the dump. I and my neighbors are in

3-story
townhomes, so we have a bird's eye view of the dump, at this point.

I heard from a (different) local nursery that a lot of mature LC's

were
broken off during last winter here in Pa.

Yes , we have bagworms here too, so that will be a concern.

Decisions, decisions.... leaning towards planting the 40 to 60 ft

"green"
Leylands, and watching them grow, hoping for the best.