Old 15-10-2003, 08:02 PM
clc

Default grow lights

"Miles Long" wrote in message
m...
Do florescent grow lights work well? I'm thinking about setting up a area

in
my basement to start some cuttings. Any info or ideas for setting up an

area
would help. What worked and didn't work.

Miles, I have used this method for 5 years now. I have a double light shop
light over a moveable shelf. When I start the seeds, the lights are not
more than 1" above the clear lid (on top of the starting cells). Once the
seeds germinate and I remove the clear lid, I still keep the light about 1"
above the plants.

Another useful idea is to use some fans for air circulation pointed in the
direction of the growing seedlings. (I actually have a small fan I clip on
the shelf.) This helps to prevent dampening off disease and helps grow
stronger plants.

Hope this gives you some help.

Cheryl