Old 15-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Vox Humana

Default canna seeds

"Miles Long" wrote in message
m...
Has anyone started canna plants from seeds? I've seen them on ebay for

sale.
This spring I received some bulbs for cannas and now those plants have
seeds. I was thinking about starting some. If you started them from seed

let
me know how you made out.

I don't think it would be worth starting cannas from seed. The rhizomes
generally multiply like rabbits. If you are in zone 6 or below, you should
dig the rhizomes after the frost gets the foliage and store them in a cool
place (above 45F). No doubt when you dig the rhizomes you will have two or
three times more than you planted. After a couple of year you will be
begging people to take some. There are usually people here who are willing
to trade rhizomes if you want different varieties. You can also buy more at
a reasonable price from www.cannas.net