Old 15-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Theo Asir

Default looking for a climber for a hot wall

I was thinking of 'Gloire de Dijon', or 'Souvenir de la Malmaison
climbing',
but I'm not sure it they will tolerate such a hot exposure (because of the
white of the wall) so I'd appreciate advice from gardners living in

similar
climate.
Color should be white, pale yellow, apricot, pale pink, or anything that
will note fade in these conditions. and repeat flowering...!
how about Austin's for this purpose ?

I'm afraid pale roses will fade in the heat there's no avoiding it.
The reds will get singed from the heat and look terrible.

Theres is an entire series of roses called Noisettes that
are ideal for slight frosts and hot summers as in the american south.

I grow Mme. Alfred Carriere, a white variety that takes
a year to establish but then becomes this wonderful wall cavering
repeat flowering scented climber. Tough and hardy.

Heres a link to a picture.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/mdealfredcarriere.htm
http://www.zanthan.com/gardens/garde...es/001032.html

See if there are any Noisettes available in you area.

As far as Austins go most have a terrible time in heat.
The petals drop quickly and they overgrow.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City