Old 15-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Sacha

Default Blackbirds

in article , jane at
wrote on 15/10/03 11:03 pm:

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:47:00 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~
~"jane" wrote in message
~ On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:22:40 +0100, "Lucy" wrote:
~
~ ~I underlaid a large Pyracantha with bark with the idea that fallen dead
~ ~leaves would not show up as much as with gravel. It is working up to a
~ ~point, but the blackbirds are throwing it all over the adjacent paving as
~ ~they search for insects. As they start at dawn and continue on and off
~ ~until dusk, it is hard to keep up with them. Does anyone know of a way of
~ ~stabilising the bark?
~ ~Lucy
~ ~
~ ~
~ black (coloured) bird netting?
~
~That is very bad. You might get blackbirds and thrushed caught up in them.
~The truth is that there is no so;ution for the problem of birds throwing
~mulches around. It is just one of the features of gardening.

I *did* wonder about them getting caught before suggesting it, but then
thought why do they sell it as netting to keep birds off fruit - so they
must be able to get free. Hence the suggestion had a ? in it.

I've never found a bird caught apart from one that got under some very fine
green plastic mesh while scrumping next door's gooseberries, and even that
got out fast when it heard me coming...

Not being a black bird, I can't speak for them but birds that land on the
ground haven't seen the mesh in the same way as birds see it, stretched out
over e.g. fruit cages. I have seen a sparrowhawk in our own garden, perched
on top of the dovecote peering at the doves inside the netting. I've seen
another (or maybe the same) sparrowhawk, on the ground entangled in the
netting.

--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)