Old 16-10-2003, 09:12 AM
jane

Default Blackbirds

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 07:44:48 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~
~"jane" wrote in message
~
~[snip]
~
~ I *did* wonder about them getting caught before suggesting it, but then
~ thought why do they sell it as netting to keep birds off fruit - so they
~ must be able to get free. Hence the suggestion had a ? in it.
~
~ I've never found a bird caught apart from one that got under some very
~fine
~ green plastic mesh while scrumping next door's gooseberries, and even that
~ got out fast when it heard me coming...
~
~...To do some scrumping yourself?

:-P

Have my own goosegogs thanks, and they weren't netted, and the darn
birdies got the lot this year. I was Not Pleased. Last year I got
25lbs... Then again last year I lost all my blackcurrants to said
wretched birds, and this year I had loads.

You win some, you lose some.

The trick is to grow plenty for both yourself and the feathered ones.
(Though I draw the line at feeding the ruddy woodpigeons and net all
my brassicas! Wish a peregrine would take up residence, I really
do...)

I'm currently hoping that the nestbox I've put up in the Bramley will
get me more feathered pesteaters for next year. Bluetit chicks eat a
*phenomenal* amount.

--
jane

Mark Twain