Old 16-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Baine Carruthers

Default Recommendation for irrigation system installation and second water meter

It's important to get credentials, especially if you also hire the
irrigation contractor to install your backflow (you must be a licensed
plumber and also certified to test it by water purveyor.)

He is a good url for questions to ask:
http://www.irrigation.org/consumer_info.asp Be sure to check the Consumer
Bill of Rights for Turf/Landscape document. Don't confuse membership in an
association, such as Carolina Irrigation Association or NC Irrigation
Society, with true credentials such as IA's CIC, CID program.

Another good document, if you have a little engineering side to you, is Best
Management Practices (BMPs), Practice Guidelines (PGs), and Appendix A & B .
Check out this url: http://www.irrigation.org/about_wtrmgmt_bmp.htm This
file is in pdf format and is extensive, particularly the appendices.

If you need any large boring or have a speciallized application, call me : )

--
Baine Carruthers, CID, CIC, CLIA
BCHS

"John F" wrote in message
om...
I would like to know of a reputable and dependable company/person to
install a residential irrigation system. I live in the Wake Forest
area. Do you have any tips/suggestions about what to ask and look for
when talking to the potential contractors?

I have also heard about having a second water meter for the sprinkler
system. What are the benefits of having one? Is it worth having one
installed?

Thanks for your help.

John F