Old 16-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Default Tree/bush with blue berries - what is it?

I've been following along because I remember searching for the name of
this shrub years ago. [long before I had internet access] My feeble
mind can't remember if I was ever successful, or where exactly I saw
this shrub.

It was definitely in NY-- around Albany/Schenectady. I thought it
was in the woods on my current property, but a quick look through
yesterday didn't reveal any more.

"Neil" wrote:

The Vibrunum Lengato seems to be the closest match so far, but the
description
of the berries doesn't seem quite right. It talks about blue-black berries,
and these
are a bright blue, definitely not approaching black.

Your second picture shows the color well--- if anything it downplays
the metallic/porcelain-like blue. The color is so strikingly
different it seems like anyone who has ever seen one will remember it.

I think both of the species that Leon posted [Vaccinium & Viburnums]
had a 'blush' or 'bloom' on the berry/drupe. These do not-- they are
bright & shiny.

Was it this berry or another that I popped open to find 4 seeds
arranged like orange sections to form a globe? If you pop one, also
note the color of the juice & flesh.

I have no idea about the trees history. I bought the property a year ago,
and they
were already here. There are about three or four of them together in the
area in sort
of a clump.

The general appearance is that of a small (8') tree a bit spindly with sort
of crooked
angular branches.

If my memory serves, I would call them an understory plant with a
habit somewhere between 'gracefully sweeping' and 'leggy'.

I've been following everyone's suggestions here, and this really seems to be
a stumper. In
every case the suggested plant has either the wrong leaf shape, or wrong
berry color.

I'm wondering, however, if the tree's environment is effecting it's normal
appearance somewhat.
It is in a very shady area that gets little sun. Probably not much more than
a couple of hours of indirect
sun a day. Maybe the berries would be black if the tree got more sun. Dunno.

I don't think so-- I'm still looking for the ones I saw around here,
but I'm pretty sure the ones I saw were all in the shade.

I sent an e-mail to the Connecticut horticultural society, but they have yet
to respond.

I'l go do some measurements today, and disect a berry or two and post my
results.

While you're out there, also note;
The color / odor of the bark & the layer under the bark.
The arrangement of the berries [cluster of 2 or 3 or single]
Arrangement of leaves/leaflets - how many, are the opposite or
alternate, etc.
What color are the leaves turning to? [I went out looking for this
bush yesterday & noted that a lot of our shrubs have lost their leaves
already]

Reposting Neil's links for anyone tuning in late;
General
http://www.panix.com/~nradisch/blueberries.jpg
Closeup
http://www.panix.com/~nradisch/blueberries2.jpg