Old 16-10-2003, 02:32 PM
jane taylor

Default Blackbirds

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:46:51 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

~The message
~from (jane) contains these words:
~
~ I'm currently hoping that the nestbox I've put up in the Bramley will
~ get me more feathered pesteaters for next year. Bluetit chicks eat a
~ *phenomenal* amount.
~
~ Glad to hear another gardener has discovered the easy way to regulate
~insect life and slugs :-)
~
~ In case you or anyone else isn't aware, it makes a big difference to
~the success of nest boxes, if you build and site them according to the
~preferences of the species you want to attract. Most are picky about the
~height, aspect, shape, and entrancehole size, for example.
~The RSPB has a good leaflet available or there are useful books in libraries.

Yes, thanks. I was very careful about the siting of the one in the
tree, positioning it facing away from the prevailing wind direction
(well I can't say I'd like a draughty bedroom!) and I know the hole's
in the right size range. If it's big enough for sparrows, no problem,
since they are doing a great deal worse these days than the tueblits.
It's a bit on the low side, due to the tree's crown height, but the
rest is ok.

I used
http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/whaty...ng_nestbox.asp

After I manage to prune the eater I may add a robin box as it's a
lower tree and more covered with surrounding fruit bushes. And when
the apples lose their leaves I may well put up a feeder as well. It's
in the middle of the allotments so shouldn't be too easy for any local
feral c*ts to find.