Old 16-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Jim W

Default Swiss Cheese Plant advice requested

Bry wrote:

I kept a huge cheese plant for eight years untill the cat killed
it...Anyway, mine used to get those creepy looking alien tendrils poking
outfrom amoung the foliage, since they're ugly to me I just chopped themat
the main stem and everything was fine.

However, I since heard they're designed to grow in to gaps to suck
upwater. Putting them in a jug of water might improve the health of
yourplant? You could use plastic ties to trail them down the moss pole
into the jug out of sight, or even in to the soil to help

Yes they are standard ariel roots as on many plants.. They stabilise,
cling, and absorb moisture. Monstera are designed to be
climers/ramblers up and over trees. They are basically 'vines' in the
broadest sense. In the UK they have a tendancy to be neglected and get a
bit messy or take over the area that theyou grow in simpley because they
are not suited as houseplants, being forest plants in their native
environment.

//
Jim