Old 16-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Ben

Default How Long Should The Lights Be On?

Ok. It's a 55 Gallon. I have 220W of lighting although, I never run
more than 110 of it at any time. I run the whites while I'm around and
the blues while I'm out. It's a lightly planted tank. I'd sort of like
the plants I have to grow before I put in anymore.

I've got a sandy (not sure what kind, it's green with purple), a small
banana plant, DWARF SAGITTARIA, ANACHARIS, CRYPT WENDTII and HORNWORT.
I had some red foxtail but apparently that tastes very good.

I do have a timer. It's set for what I put below. I plan to reduce
that amount it's on thanks to the advice of the people here.

-Ben

gizmo wrote:
Well you didn't give much information on your tank size and light setup and
is it a heavily planted tank ?
But.... You are lighting your tank for about 16.5 hours.
It is mostly recommended that light duration will be 10 up to 12 hours (some
even light less). I would get a timer and start lighting for about 10 hours
see how it goes and making the proper adjustments.
Over light will cause algae to develop and bloom in your tank (that's only
if you want to grow algae ???
Startup with 10 hours a day see how it goes and adjust as your needs.

gizmo
"Ben" wrote in message

Hi All,

Now that I've got my tank all set up the way I want with my massively
overpowering lights (well, they would be if I had them all on at
once).... How long should I leave the lights on? Can you over light a
tank? Right now they're on from 7:15 am to 11:45 pm.

Thanks,
Ben