Old 16-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Connor Maltsberger

Default How Long Should The Lights Be On?

Thats probably not the best idea...I have never tried it myself, but i
have read that it will stress out the fish - its not natural for the
sun to set in the middle of the day, and then rise again a few hours
later. What i do, since i enjoy watching my fish later on at night,
is i have the timer come on about noon, then stay on until about 11 or
12 at night...seems to work pretty good for me...this way, there is
also a little bit of ambient light in the mornings that i like to
convince myself simulates 'dawn'

Anyways, i dont really know what im talking about, but thats what IIII
would do.

-Connor

Ben wrote in message ...
Surgicalrn wrote:

10-12 hours... even my cobomba closes up shop for the night at about 11
hours. Equatorial tropical countries get an average 12 hours of sunlight on
any given day and most plants and fish we love to cultivate in our tanks are
usually native to those areas. So take your pick... 10 or 12. I'm sure
others on this group can tell you all the drawbacks to leaving lights on for
longer periods but I just do it for 11 hours so the fish feel more like
they're in their natural environment.

that what I was thinking. I bought I timer that has up to 3 on-off
cycles. I'll have to set it to go off sometime during the day. I like
it on early and late as that's when I'm home to look at them.

-Ben