Old 16-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Joe98

Default Tilling - Double-Digging? Need Advice

Thanks for the help Jim,

Answers answers..

Double digging is double digging, 'tilling' done with a tiller, is a
mechanised version of hand digging (a bit like ploughing) I suspect the
book may have UK terms in some of its origin. Peat moss is not incorrect
though I guess Moss Peat; that is, peat made from moss, is what is
referred to. It is humus as you describe.

The moss is just used to add humus.. You could equally add mature leaf
mould (2 - 3 year) or similar.

Compost can be of your choice. Matured animal manure is fine as is home
made compost (from kitchen waste etc). AS long as its partly rotted eg
NOT fresh.

I have a little "home made" compost, but the rest will be store bought
bagged manure, which is certainly rotted.

Digging is often measured in the length of a spades blade or 'spits' so
you can substitute 'spit' for 'foot' in the measurements. Though I guess
it depends on how big a spade you use!-)

You can adapt double digging like this.

Remove your first spit depth trench of soil and move it to the 'end' of
the are you intend to dig. Fork manure/humus/compost into bottom of
second spit spit of soil.

But the rotted manure IS the compost, right? And is the two thirds compost
+ one third (peat moss) humus about right in your opinion?

Fill first trench with soil from 2nd and continue this method across the
area to be dug.
When you reach end of the area you will have your soil from your
initial trench to fill in.

Lift the turf and stack upside down, covered under plastic. Next year
you will have a ready made loam pile for potting etc.

Hmm... What you suggest sounds like a good tip for making good loam, but
is that necessary? As I said, I have grass on the area designated for the
garden but it's spotty and useless as sod. In the process of the Double
Dig, I was planning to just work the grass into the mix. After I Double
Dig, I was planning to cover with plastic and leave it for all of winter.
Is there anything wrong with doing it this way? It would save some work,
which is important with old man winter coming around the corner.

Snow lets through enough air and light and is naturally cold so
minimises growth. Black plastic only cuts out light and air.

Ah, I figured it was something like that. Thanks.

//
Jim

Thanks for your time and your advice Jim.

Oh, is there any kind of a generic calculation one can use for figuring how
much hummus and compost I'll need? I really don't know how much to get.
BTW, my book says to expect the soil to be built up about 3 inches, but it
seems like adding all that hummus and compost will raise it much more than
than. What do you think?