Old 16-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Joe98

Default Tilling - Double-Digging? Need Advice

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message

Having used a tiller for some years, I'd advise only using it to
prepare the bed. It really beats using a shovel in heavy soil. Make the
trench, amend the soil, put the soil back.

I really considered this, but I don't have a truck an my schedule is bad for
setting up a delivery time. I agree that a tiller is probably the way to
go, but I think I'll actually enjoy doing it myself. Oh, and I ended up
using cheap brick to boarder the garden because all the wood I found was
treated with chemicals I wouldn't want to go into my vegetables. It's been
a bit of a chore getting the brick to look right on the slight slope the
garden will go on and I hate to mess it all up with a tiller I'm not
familiar with.

I stopped using the tiller on my prepared beds, let the soil create a
structure again. If I was to add further compost, then I'd consider
using the tiller again... But it's a bit hard to lift the 6HP Troybilt
high enough to get into my beds.

That's for sure. lol

--
Reply to me at louis little punctuation mark ohland with the same ISP