Old 16-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Storing crocosmia corms

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:02:40 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

I have a clump of crocosmias (similar to Lucifer but not so vigorous)
that is infested with grass. As the leaves have pretty much browned
back, can I dig up and clean the corms now, dry them out and store
them, with the intention of planting them elsewhere next spring?

I don't think crocosmias particularly like serious drying-off.
Dig them up, clean them, but then either replant them immediately
(as suggested by another reply) or pot them in damp soil and
replant in the spring.

On the whole, immediate replanting is probably preferable. As a
general rule, plants in pots don't do as well as those in the
ground, for a whole host of reasons. With crocosmias, there is a
certain degree of frost-tenderness and potted plants are going to
suffer more than those in the ground if&when you get a hard
freeze.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada